California native Liat Cohen found her Miami experience to be collaborative and inspiring.

A first-generation college student and the second daughter in a close-knit family, it was almost unthinkable for Liat Cohen to leave home. But “go away to college” she did—across the country, from California to Florida, finding her new home at the University of Miami.

In her four years at UM, Cohen cultivated a passion for leadership, joining the executive board of three student organizations. As part of Student Government, she became the youngest member chosen from undergraduate student leaders to serve on the advisory board of the Toppel Career Center. 

“I met the most inspiring people in Student Government,” Cohen said. “I have remained very close with everyone I was on the board with and they continue to inspire me.”

Cohen became involved with student organizations before even arriving in Coral Gables, reaching out to join ’Canes Night Live before Orientation.

“The people at UM who are involved are involved in everything. You become passionate. You can’t just have your foot in one door, you have to have them in all,” she said. “I can’t thank my older classmates enough, those who have guided me through my experience. It all feeds into one another.”

Between her academic coursework and campus involvement, Cohen also gained professional experience while interning for Variety magazine, Lionsgate Entertainment and The Coca-Cola Company. This invaluable fieldwork provided a solid foundation for a career path that will lead her to her ultimate goal: chief brand officer of a media company that probably doesn’t exist yet.  

“I want to be somewhere I can help grow,” Cohen shared. “I want to be the person who helps the company grow from 50 [followers] to 50,000. I don’t want to join a company when it already has 50,000.”

Mitchell Shapiro, professor and director of honors for the School of Communication, sees that drive.

“Liat is a special student. She always goes beyond what is expected of her, has a great respect for learning, and a need to know more,” said Shapiro. “She challenges herself and those around her to move beyond the obvious. She is a natural leader, and I have no doubt she will be a success and make those around her better.”

Cohen graduates from the School of Communication with a degree in media management  and minors in public relations, psychology and motion pictures. She has accepted a Creative Studio Copywriting Fellowship at LinkedIn in the San Francisco Bay Area, which she begins in June.