Job Title: Curator of Digital Platforms
Duration: 36 Months
Reporting to: Chief Curator, Zeitz MOCAA
Start date: Immediate
Salary: R 400,000 per annum (Cost to company with all deductions, including Pay as You Earn, Unemployment Insurance Fund Contributions, heath insurance, and any other government mandated deductions, withheld from this amount)
Zeitz MOCAA is commissioning an app for museum visitors that will narrate a story of contemporary art from Africa through objects in the museum. Guided by the official Zeitz MOCAA multimedia app, visitors will have the opportunity to select from three different journeys targeted at adults, children or those interested in the museum’s architecture. Each tour will highlight objects in the museum’s collections or aspects of the museum building, providing cultural, environmental and social contextualization through audio, text, images and video. These materials will incorporate a diversity of perspectives to create a holistic narrative of the objects in the museum’s collections and the museum’s architecture, enriching the visitor’s experience. The creation of Zeitz MOCAA’s app requires a full time curator to complete research and compile all of the necessary images, audio tracks, video files, and texts associated with each artwork for the app development team.
Purpose of the job
The purpose of this job is to create and gather content for Zeitz MOCAA’s app launching in late 2017 and other Zeitiz MOCAA platforms, with specific responsibilities for researching, writing, documenting and recording information on objects in the museum’s architecture. The role will work closely with the Chief Curator, Registrar, and Assistant Curators, as well as with external stakeholders including practicing artists, curators, gallerists, and architects.
1. To lead the Zeitz MOCAA app, including creating, collating and managing all aspects of the delivery of content to the app development team; managing the delivery process with the app development team; and testing of the app for usability and coherent narrative structure.
2. Complete original research and collate existing materials on objects in Zeitz MOCAA’s collections as well as aspects of the museum’s architecture. This will include the creation and collating of written texts on artworks and architecture, gathering and taking of photographs, audio recordings of oral histories and interviews with relevant stakeholders, and other materials as necessary.
3. Organise and prepare the app materials in the correct file formats in close collaboration with the app development team.
4. Acquire written permission from all authors and/or copyright owners of materials used in the app.
5. Manage external contractors supplying Zeitz MOCAA with services related to the development of the app.
6. Create content for online platforms based on existing curatorial texts.
7. Work together with all staff members to realise a world class Professional and Patrons Preview and public opening in September 2017.
8. Complete other tasks as necessary.
This role focuses on research and interpretation, requiring an individual with a high standard of accuracy, consistency, and creativity. The selected curator will be required to work successfully under sustained pressure and should be able to creatively and positively respond to challenges they face. They should also be a good communicator with a focused, professional manner and a demonstrated commitment to contemporary culture from Africa and its Diaspora.
Required experience and skills:
1. Completion of an undergraduate degree, such as a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in curating, art history, visual culture, fine arts, English, journalism, media and writing, or an equivalent qualification.
2. Minimum of 3 years’ experience working within a cultural context.
3. Excellent research and English writing skills with demonstrable experience such as published articles or texts focusing on culture.
4. Ability to construct a clear narrative.
5. Ability to find information and effectively transcribe it into written, visual and audio texts.
6. Ability to work well with others and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels. Ability to tailor oral and written communication to specific audiences.
7. Strong administration and coordination skills, with a methodical approach and attention to detail.
8. Ability to work independently and deliver work within the agreed timeframes.
9. Effective problem solving skills.
10. Strong computer skills, including using the MS Office packages, and a willingness to learn new computer skills.
11. Passionate and knowledgeable about contemporary culture from Africa and its Diaspora.
12. Desirable: Knowledge of art history.
As a cutting edge equal opportunity institution, Zeitz MOCAA celebrates diversity in all its forms including gender, race, creed, and orientation.
To apply, please email a letter of motivation, CV, two references and two writing examples focusing on culture to email@example.com by Sunday, 12 March 2017.
About Zeitz MOCAA
Opening on 22 September 2017, Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa’s (Zeitz MOCAA) mission is to collect, preserve, research, and exhibit cutting edge contemporary art from Africa and its Diaspora; to host international exhibitions; to develop supporting educational and enrichment programmes; to encourage intercultural understanding; and to guarantee access for all. Eighty galleries are dedicated to a permanent collection; temporary exhibitions; and Centres for Art Education, Photography, Costume, Curatorial Excellence, the Moving Image, and Performative Practice.
Zeitz MOCAA partners with various local and international institutions, manages a Curatorial Training Programme, and loans artworks to museums globally.
As a not-for-profit public cultural institution, donations to Zeitz MOCAA and philanthropic support from individuals, corporations and foundations are an integral part of helping the museum fulfil its mission.
Silo District, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town, South Africa, 8002
Telephone: + 27 (0)21 418 7855